There’s no denying that eating fruits does wonders for your body. Each fruit has its own bundle of health benefits, yet people tend to underestimate just how powerful kiwis are. Kiwis, or kiwifruits, are low in calories, low in sugar, and packed with nutrients to keep your body at optimal health. Plus, they make the perfect snack and addition to a smoothie.
There are plenty of reasons to add kiwifruits to your diet.
- Kiwis are loaded with fiber. Dietary fibers help lower bad cholesterol, which reduces the risks of heart diseases. The fiber in kiwis also promotes healthy bowel movements and helps reduce constipation.
- Studies have shown that kiwis can also aid in digestion by breaking down proteins. They contain actinidin, which is an enzyme that helps with protein digestion. If you’ve had a protein-heavy meal, eat a kiwi to prevent bloating.
- The fiber in kiwis helps you stay full longer, which is great for weight management. When you eat a kiwi, the glucose in your digestive tract is taken up more slowly, and that keeps your blood sugar level stable and reduces your appetite.
- They are considered to be low glycemic fruits, which are ideal for diabetics. A food is considered as low glycemic if its glycemic index is below 55. Kiwis have a score of 52 so anyone can enjoy the benefits of kiwis while still managing blood sugar levels.
- Kiwis are rich in antioxidants. The antioxidants in kiwis may help prevent cancer and heart diseases by neutralizing free radicals that can damage the cells in your body. Plus, they’re great for giving your immune system an extra boost.
- They help induce sleep. Kiwis contain serotonin which improves the quality and quantity of sleep. Having a kiwi an hour before bedtime can help you sleep better throughout the night and feel refreshed in the morning.
- Kiwis are loaded with vitamins and minerals. In a single kiwi, you’re getting 64mg of vitamin C to boost immunity, 12mg of magnesium to promote bone health, and 215mg of potassium to maintain healthy blood pressure. A kiwi also contains vitamin K, folate, and lutein, all for around 40 calories.
The next time you’re looking for a healthy snack or a nutrient-packed ingredient to toss into your smoothie, grab some kiwis! Your taste buds and your body will thank you for it!