Condiments are the best-supporting actors in your meals. Homemade spicy guacamole, grilled sweet onions, and smoky BBQ sauce can take your average burger from “blah” to seriously elevated. While you can find pre-packaged varieties at the grocery store, the processed, jarred stuff doesn’t hold a candle to the flavor of homemade versions made from fresh and simple ingredients.
While making your own homemade condiments and dressings may seem daunting, it’s actually super easy to do – especially with your NutriBullet in tow. All you need to do is add the ingredients to your cup and blend to really knock your grilling season out of the park.
Homemade Summer Dips, Salad Dressings, and Sauces
Try out these recipes, and you may never look at dips and sauces the same way again.
- Avocado Cilantro Dip – Without wanting to sound too dramatic, this recipe is a game-changer. Smooth with a little bit of kick thanks in large part to the tomatillos, a generous smear of this creamy dip on your burger will take it to a whole new level. You can also serve it alongside a bowl full of chips. This dip tastes so good, you may have a hard time believing that it offers some serious health benefits. Avocados are virtually the only fruit that contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fat – a good kind of fat that helps to keep you feeling full while offering protection from cardiovascular disease. You may want to keep some of this dip in your fridge 24/7. No joke.
- Honey Mustard Dressing – Having a salad for lunch can be made with the best of intentions as most salads offer a nutrient-dense source of healthy fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. But if it’s drenched in a creamy dressing and topped with bacon bits and croutons, you may be eating more than you bargained for. Using homemade salad dressing is an easy way to control the quality of ingredients – and they often taste better, too! The perfect synergy of savory and sweet, this homemade dressing is a fraction of the cost compared to bottled store-bought varieties, lower in sodium, and free from any artificial ingredients, colors, or preservatives. It’s equally as delicious with grilled chicken or fish as it is in salad or wrap.
- Tzatziki Dressing – The Mediterranean style of eating is consistently praised for its emphasis on healthful whole foods – including whole grains, fruits, vegetables, a variety of herbs and spices, and of course, healthy fats. Take your taste buds on a spin to the Mediterranean region with this creamy and refreshing dressing. Toss in salads, use as a dipping sauce alongside kebabs, or serve in a Mediterranean-inspired pita.
- Homemade BBQ Sauce – Five simple ingredients are all you need to impress your guests at your next backyard BBQ or summertime soiree. If you’re a culinary overachiever, you can even make your own ketchup to use as an ingredient in the sauce.
- Easy Balsamic Vinegar Dressing – Most Americans aren’t eating nearly enough vegetables, but we tend to exceed our recommended intakes for animal protein and sugar-sweetened desserts. This no-fuss dressing may quickly become your go-to recipe when looking for a simple way to elevate your homemade salads and make them a bit more appealing to both kids and adults. Keep any leftover dressing stored in your fridge so you’ll always have your favorite salad accompaniment on hand.
- Classic Hummus – Packed with plant protein and healthful fats, there’s a reason why nutritionists love hummus. Thankfully, it’s also delicious, so most people have hopped on board the hummus bandwagon. Rather than filling up on cheese dips or pigs in a blanket at your next potluck, volunteer to bring a tray of fresh veggies alongside hummus for a fresh and healthy appetizer.
Leave the bottled stuff behind this barbecue season. With simple ingredients and your trusty NutriBullet, you’ll never need to buy condiments from stores again!