Achieving your weight loss goals can be challenging. The good news is simple, lifestyle changes can lead to sustainable weight loss. Extreme changes only provide short-term weight loss. Try making gradual shifts toward healthful food choices and incorporating physical activity to achieve weight loss with staying power.
Setting a realistic rate to lose weight is also important. Health experts recommend losing 1-2 pounds per week to safely and effectively reach your goals. This will put you on track for long-term weight management and better health.
7 Easy Weight Loss Tips to Implement Today
- Focus on whole, unprocessed foods. Fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains are loaded with fiber, and packed with vitamins and minerals. The fiber in these nutritious foods will help fill you up!
- Add satisfying protein at each meal. Protein can be found in nuts, legumes, Greek yogurt, fish, eggs and lean meats. It will help you feel full for longer and prevent overeating at your next meal. Plus, it will keep your muscles strong.
- Incorporate healthy fats from avocados, nuts, and seeds to increase satiety. These good-for-you fats also help absorb nutrients and promote a healthy heart. Try to limit saturated fat found in animal products.
- Make sure to eat breakfast daily to prevent overindulgence later in the day. Studies show that a healthy breakfast aids in weight loss and maintenance. Blending a smoothie in the morning is an easy way to ensure a nutritious breakfast is checked off your to-do list!
- Limit added sugar found in candy, cookies, and even flavored yogurt and salad dressings. The calories in added sugar are often referred to as “empty,” meaning they do not contain any nutritional value.
- Drink plenty of water for hydration. Water can help maintain a healthy metabolism. If you don’t like plain water, try adding lemon or opting for sparkling water.
- Exercise for 30 minutes a day to reach your health goals. A brisk walk will do! You can also break up the exercise in 10-minute segments. Step outside and take a stroll around the block a few times a day!
Smoothies are a quick breakfast option that you can load up with fruits, vegetables, nuts, and whole grains. Try one of our delicious breakfast smoothies to jumpstart your lifestyle changes.
Weight Loss Smoothies
- Avocado Almond Accelerator – This creamy smoothie is as tasty as it is satisfying.
- All About Oats and Seeds – The delicious nutty flavor of this smoothie will make you forget just how healthy it is.
- Cinnamon Strawberry Walnut Party – Full of fiber, protein, and flavor, this smoothie is the perfect breakfast choice.
- Race You to the Kale – The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with essential nutrients and will please even the pickiest eater.
Laura Hershey, MBA, RD has been a registered dietitian for over 16 years. Laura specializes in nutrition communications, marketing and education. She enjoys translating scientific information into easily digestible nutrition messages. She is passionate about improving the health of the population through consumer outreach programs.
Laura is active in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and currently is a Legislative Ambassador for the Los Angeles District. She received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Pepperdine University and completed her dietetic internship at Loma Linda University.