Leafy greens act as a nutritious base in our smoothies, along with salads, and an array of other meals. They come in a variety of shades of green and provide us with a variety of micronutrients. One of the easiest ways to incorporate more leafy greens into your diet is by blending them into your favorite smoothie!
Dark greens such as kale, spinach, collard greens, and swiss chard, are rich in vitamins A, C, and K. These dark green veggies also contain high amounts of phytochemicals, specifically carotenoids which can help protect our cells. Research suggests that adding a daily serving of green, leafy vegetables to one’s diet may contribute to better brain health. They are also low in carbohydrates and low in calories. All of these features make leafy greens an ideal food to incorporate into your healthy eating journey! Other greens such as romaine lettuce, arugula, mixed greens, bok choy, and watercress, are also great options to incorporate into your diet.
Popular Leafy Greens to Add to Your Smoothie
- Spinach – Chances are, you won’t even know that it’s in your smoothie. Spinach is great for those who are not big on greens but want to start incorporating them into your diet. Blending 1 cup of spinach into your daily smoothie is a great way to start getting your greens in! It’s almost completely flavorless but packed with nutrients.
- Kale – Comes curly, baby, and even purple! Kale is perfect for any smoothie. It is more fibrous than spinach and packs more flavor. For beginners, I recommend using 1 cup of baby kale because it has a milder and less bitter taste. Once you start getting used to it, try incorporating other types of kale into your smoothies.
- Mixed Greens – Are available in a convenient, pre-mixed variety of greens in one container. These mixes are perfect for smoothies and salads alike!
- Arugula – Packs a peppery kick and will add a ton of flavor to your smoothie. I would recommend adding ½ cup to your smoothie to start, then work your way up to more when you feeling like a bold, leafy greens expert!
Leafy Green Smoothies You Need to Try
- Avocado Blueberry Smoothie – This smoothie is simple, creamy, and full of nutritious ingredients! Great for breakfast or a post-workout treat.
- Cherry And Kale Protein Smoothie – The cherry and kale combination is so delicious and makes for a perfect breakfast smoothie!
- Strawberry Green Smoothie – This smoothie is fruity, sweet, and so simple to make. A great way for beginners to introduce greens into their smoothies!