It’s Halloween time, and you know what that means – candy! It’s tough to stick with a healthy eating plan when you’re surrounded by all the sweets and treats fall season has to offer. Instead of fretting about overindulging in chocolate bars, candy corn, and gummies, take steps to create a Halloween that’s better for you and your family.
Halloween Battle Plan
- Fill up before trick or treating. Kick off the evening with a satisfying meal that contains protein, veggies, and whole grains. The fiber and protein will help keep you full and less tempted to sneak treats. Don’t skip meals throughout the day in hopes of loading up on candy in the evening. It’s important to eat balanced meals throughout the day to avoid the extra calories from candy that can lead to weight gain.
- Get moving. Start your day off by exercising to put you in the mindset for a healthy day. If you don’t have time in the morning, then get active with your kids. You can play Halloween games to get the whole family moving. How about a game of monster tag or ghoulish hide and seek?
- Keep candy hidden. Store the candy out of sight to avoid opening it before Halloween night. Better yet, don’t buy your favorite sweets. If you are a chocolate person, buy tart candy. If you prefer tart candy, plan on handing out chocolate.
- Have a satisfying snack. This will help fill you up to prevent going overboard with the sweets. Instead of opening the candy wrapper, sip on a smoothie inspired by fall ingredients like apple and pumpkin. A snack full of nutrients, like fiber and protein, can help keep your appetite curbed for the rest of the evening.
- Allow yourself a mindful treat. Let yourself celebrate – it is a holiday after all! Satisfy your cravings with small portions of a seasonal treat. Fun-size candy bars can help limit the portions. Make sure it’s candy that is going to hit the spot. Otherwise, you may be left wanting more treats. Just be sure to avoid making it an everyday occurrence. If you’re feeling guilty the next day, try a green smoothie to help reclaim your healthy eating plan.
- Get rid of extra candy. Donate it, freeze it, bring it to your office, or simply throw it out. You don’t want tempting goodies readily available in your pantry.
Pre-Trick or Treat Smoothies
Looking for a healthy treat to satisfy that sweet tooth and put you in the festive fall mood? Enjoy classic fall flavors and give your health a boost with these delicious and nutritious smoothies!
- Apple Cobbler Smoothie – Delicious and comforting fall ingredients abound in this smoothie with satisfying fiber and no added sugar.
- Caramel Apple Smoothie – This naturally sweetened smoothie is the perfect healthy alternative to a sugary caramel apple.
- Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie – All the delicious fall spices wrapped up in a power-packed smoothie!
Have a happy and healthy Halloween!